Principles and Standards of Earthbuilders
Protection of the environment and natural resources
- Provide clean drinking water to all the people
- Promote community-based monitoring and water testing facilities
- Encourage traditional systems of water management like pond irrigation and the promotion of alternate irrigation systems such as the harvesting of run-off rain water.
- Encourage small-scale irrigation projects which have only a minimum impact on the environment. ( Eg. drip irrigation)
- Adoption of measures for increasing water use efficiency, conservation and recycling
Agriculture & Landscape Systems
- Strengthen soil conservation and soil enrichment programmes for preventing soil degradation.
- Periodic monitoring of soil fertility to maintain and improve its productivity.
- Encourage crops based on land capability classification and cropping patterns suitable for productivity conservation.
- Promote organic farming
- Adopt integrated nutrient and pest management systems with the use of bio- fertilizers, organic compost and bio-pesticides.
- Conserve paddy land and prevent its use for other crops.
- Evolve efficient and cost-effective methods of water conservation and use.
- Promote traditional practices of mixed cultivation in homesteads.
- Encourage cultivation of crops with least demands on water and energy inputs
- Completely avoid GMO crops.
Coastal and marine resources
- Encourage sustainable fishing.
- To train and support non- motorised, fisherman in safe navigation and responsible fishing, in project area.
- To organize boat cruises (Non-motorised and motorised) with reduced pollution and damage to the environment as well fisherman.
- Support local/existing Milk Producers’ Co-operative Societies to maximize value addition at site, and to ensure that the maximum advantage is derived by the members
- Recycle household waste food and agricultural residues to be used as manure for fodder cultivation.
- Monitor and take up vaccination programmes in animals and birds to prevent diseases.
- Promotion of backyard poultry for effective utilisation of household/ kitchen waste thereby reducing environment damage.
- Proper treatment of dairy waste in by setting up of waste management biogas plants and ensuring constant monitoring.
- Energy conservation in all sectors including tourism property, agriculture and transportation.
- Promote non-conventional energy systems (Solar , Biomass etc ) and promote efficient and moderate energy use without waste.
- Safe transportation and reduced consumption of fuel, traffic congestion and environmental pollution.
- Promote the use of bicycles in protected areas.
Air and noise pollution
- Encourage use of clean fuels and clean technologies, energy efficient devices and air and noise pollution control systems.
- Establishment of green belts with appropriate plant species for mitigating pollution.
- Promote appropriate technologies to reduce emission of carbon dioxide and greenhouse gases.
- Ensure safe disposal of electronic waste.